Sunday, September 12, 2010

tar compression



Tar contains a few options to compress the tar-ball. It depends on what compression packages you have installed. I have long known that LZMA is good for making small packages when I can spare the time. For everything else I use BZIP2. Fortunately curiosity has led me to do a small comparison.

More about the Graph.
Compress and uncompress times are in relation to one another, thus they are comparable, as well as /tmp/etc and /tmp/bin.

Size is the ratio of compressed-tar-ball to the disk space as reported by du. It is then adjusted to fit within the ratio, /tmp/etc and /tmp/bin are comparable.

Data for /tmp/etc was copied from /etc with
cp -r /etc /tmp/etc. Same thing for /tmp/bin.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

are any of these multithreaded ?

sbester said...

are any of these multithreaded ?

plus40south said...

Nope none is. It would be interesting to see if we could manage to split up the processing. I guess it would be easy if we tar and then break that donw into chunks. BUT total time spent would be more than running compress and tar simultaniosly. What you want is that I do these as a dar or par. For that I comment "later mate, your bring the beer".